Many of the worlds oldest diamonds have a past steeped in royalty and none more than the Wittelsbach Graff Diamond has such a strong royal past. These diamonds are often gifted to members of the royal family for anniversary gifts, engagement presents and even as gifts upon their coronations. Royal families have vast collections of jewellery including Diamond Rings and tiaras, much like the Crown Jewels of our own royal family her in the United Kingdom. These jewellery items are sometimes adjusted into new items for younger members of the family and you will often find engagement rings containing at least one diamond from the bride or grooms mothers own jewellery collection. You can find pieces that are as equally pleasing to the eye by taking a look at https://www.comparethediamond.com/
The diamond is thought to have been found in India and originally weighed around 35.56 carats. It is an extremely rare diamond due to its blue/grey hue that is caused by the presence of boron in its chemical make-up. It is classified as a Type 11b diamond which means that it is classed as a semi-conductor. It is thought that only around 0.1% of all the diamonds that have been mined fit into this category.
Early records of its origin and ownership are unconfirmed, much like many diamonds but in the 17th Century it was presented by King Phillip IV of Spain to his daughter Infanta Margareta Teresa upon her engagement to Emperor Leopold I. It was left to Leopold after the death of Margareta in 1673. It was then passed on to his granddaughter Archduchess Maria Amelia when she married the Crown Prince of Bavaria. It remained in Bavarian ownership for over a Century until it was put into safekeeping during the first world war when Bavaria became a republic. In 1931 the stone re-emerged when it was put up for sale at Christie’s in London. Following its sale at auction it disappeared for view completely and its whereabouts was unknown until in 1958 it appeared at the World Exhibition in Brussels and was on display for around six months. It was eventually purchased again in 2008 and was reduced to its now weight of 31.06 carats after it was re-cut to improve its look and clarity following the many bruises that had occurred to the stone over its life. It is now kept safely in the Graff vault.